If you didn't know I have three boys. I live in a 3 bedroom house. This means that at any given time 2 of my boys have to share a room. This has occured in a couple of different configurations, but this summer my oldest moved into his own room. In the past my two older boys shared a room and in that room was 2 dressers. The youngest was in a room by himself and since he had little clothes I just folded them and put them on a shelf in the closet. When my oldest moved into that room the shelves were not going to work, so he needed a dresser. Now pre-blog reading I would have thought that I had to spend like a thousand dollars on a good dresser. Now I know that I have the ability to do things, cool things.
One day after dropping the older boys off at school, the little one and I stopped off at an estate sale. Believe it or not I had never been to an estate sale before. The boy and I ventured around the house looking for treasure and I was about to give up, then in the basement there it was.
Now I have to tell you that I did this project in August in southern Kansas, in the hottest summer in 31 years. This is where the sweat comes into the story.
So I drug the blue dresser to the back yard and began sanding...and sanding...and when I got tired I made the 2 year old sand.
So when I got it sanded to a point that I was happy with the smoothness I painted it with a black tinted primer. I don't have pictures of that because I was so hot I was delirious and forgot. I left them outside to dry that night. The next morning I headed out back to begin the painting process, at 8:30 am it was a balmy 91 degrees and too hot to paint outside. My husband was out of town with the military and I had no help getting the dresser in the house. However the desire to get back into the air conditioning was enough to grant me super human strength and I carried it in by myself.
Inside I gave it 2 coats of Tuxedo Tie an Eddie Bauer color from Lowes sanding in between coats. Again no pictures (at this point I just wanted it done and to take a nap).
I didn't want to just have a plain dresser, and I love when things have letters or numbers on them so I decided to add some numbers to the dresser drawers.
I printed out numbers in a font and size that I liked onto card stock. I cut out the numbers and made a stencil. I took a pencil and traced the numbers onto the dresser drawers. Then I took some cream colored paint and hand painted the numbers onto to the drawers in "order".
When that was done I gave the whole thing a gazillion coatsof Polyrcyllic, sanding in between coats. Apparently it is supposed to be better over paint than polyurethane. Discoloration. I didn't love the Polycryllic. I was using a foam roller and it left like a million bubbles that left the surface bumpy when it dried. Maybe it was user error but whatever I tried nothing fixed the problem.
My husband got regular updates on the "dresser" by phone. I found out later that he had serious doubts about how cool it would be, but now he totally loves it.
Hope you enjoyed visiting!! Feel free to leave a comment...I promise to read them in the right order :)
I am linking to these:
Primitive & Proper Piece of Work Wednesday