Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Apothecary Jar Terrarium

This last summer I read a post of the Nester about Apothecary Jar Terrariums.  I knew instantly that come spring I was SOOO going to make one.

So this late winter/spring I started gathering the supplies.

Here is what I got:

-Rocks

-Carbon (I got mine in the fish supply aisle at Wal-mart)

-Dirt

- Low light plants (I bought way more than would fit in my jar)

-The biggest apothecary jar that I could find.  (I got mind at Michaels with a coupon)


Here is what I did:

I put the carbon in a strainer with some small holes and rinsed it out in the sink.  It will start to run clean after a few seconds.  I set that aside for a minute to fully drain.

I placed a layer of rocks in the bottom of the jar, I used regular drainage rocks that I had from a different project but I think that smaller river rocks would really look great. 

 On top of the rocks goes a layer of the rinsed carbon.  The carbon helps keep the water from becoming yucky and stagnate. 

Then I layered the dirt.  I actually put too much in so I had to scoop some out, which kinda made the sides of my jar messy.  So try and add a little at a time.

Next came my plants.  I intended to have three different plants of varying heights and textures...but apparently my jar wasn't as big as I thought.  I could only fit one of the plants that I bought.  A mini fern, it is cute but I wish that I could have fit more.  Alas what is a girl to do?!

Then I added some rocks.  I wanted to add some cool moss, but I honestly have no idea where to get that in my neck of the woods.  So I am going to have to work on that.

So then I basically just added water, maybe a cup and a half.  As I was adding the water I let it stream down the side to try and get the rouge dirt off the sides, that worked pretty good but not perfect.  That is okay thought I can live with not quite perfect!

I am sure that I must have made a terrarium in school but I don't remember it, so I guess it doesn't count.  YAY!  I made my first terrarium!








I am enjoying it a lot, I just wish I had some moss.  Sigh!  I think that this plant has a fighting chance of me not killing it...as it is going to water itself.  Bonus

Now I keep thinking about all of the other containers that I could turn into a terrarium. 

How  about you, have you been busy with any "gardening" lately?  Made a terrarium lately?  Tell me all about it!

Sunny

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I have always wanted to make a terrarium! Thanks so much for all the inspiration!

    I love it!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I agree about the small amounts of soil. I created one yesterday and think I need to go redo it with less soil. Looks like all dirt. lol

    You can find moss at Hobby Lobby. Not sure about Micheal's.

    ReplyDelete