Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Fall Porch

Hey there Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick is hosting a fall outdoor decor link party so I thought that I would add my 2 cents.  I was struck yesterday with a case of "i'm out of inspiration-itis" when I thought about how to spruce up my front porch.  I am struggling with a couple of problems when it comes to the porch.  The first problem is that it is the size of a postage stamp so decorating is a little difficult.  The second problem is that sometimes seasonal decor takes on a Barneys playhouse look, and what I like is a little more Pottery Barn playhouse!?  Also I have three boys that think everything belongs to them and they destroy at will (we are working on it).  Oh and I am on a budget and don't want to refinance to be cute!  So this is what I came up with!

It didn't cost much.  I bought 2 small mums from Wally World for $2.46 ea, 2 terracotta pots $1.25ea, and 3 pie pumpkins about $2 a piece!  The larger mum my mother in law brought me the other day (Thanks Mrs. H.)  I didn't have a cute pot to put it in so I got some sticks and glued them all over the plastic pot.


Okay so I ran out of sticks before I got all the way around the pot...Guess we know where the back is!!   Then I glued on some bias tape that I had made for a reupholstery project that I finished last week (post to come later). 


See, look how cute!  For the terra cotta pots I lined the top of the pot with the same bias tape.


Yeah, I know I glued that acorn on there and it is lame.  It happened,  I am moving on.  The second pot I was just short of making it all the way around with the bias tape and so again makes the back easy to identify!!
Then I thought about my pumpkins and wanted to add my street numbers but didn't want to make a stencil or print things or paint.  So I went all commando with a permanant marker. 

I know that it looks a little wonky, but I free handed with a marker.  That being considered I am pretty impressed with me ;) 

I threw it all on the porch steps added lanterns, candles, leaves that we found at the park, and a few other smaller pumpkins that I already had and VOILA!




I thought that I would include a picture of my beautiful design assistant, yeah I got people!  Anyhow I hope that you like it.  I think that it is neato!

If this is your first time here, Thank You for coming!!  Feel Free to leave a comment, it makes me feel special!

Sunny
 Ps. I am so linking to the DIY showoff                                                                               link to party
                 

1 comment:

  1. Your porch looks lovely!!! Cute little urchin you've got there too.

    ReplyDelete