Monday, October 10, 2011

31 Days to a Better Me Day 10

I have always been a creative person.  But is seems that as I got older and my family grew I had less and less time to flex my creative muscles.  Eventually like other muscles when you don't use it you lose it.  I did.  There were years where I didn't create anything at all, I was just too busy with babies, laundry, cooking, and attempting to sneak a nap in.  This year is different.  I have one child at home all day and he is 3 and pretty much plays by himself most of the time.  Gone are the days of my children needing constant attention.  This summer I discovered the magic of blogs, and I got my inspiration back!!  The ladies that I read have helped me to rediscover the creative buried deep, DEEP inside!!  Sunny got her groove back!

So as I move through the process of trying to become a better me, I find it a very important part of that process is to create things on a regular basis.  Today I want to show you how I turned something ugly into something pretty!  The more I engage in these activities the more of a sense of fulfillment I receive.  So on to the ... tutorial!?!

The other day I was at the Habitat for Humanity Restore and my sweet hubs said "hey did you see that wooden box over there.."
I had not seen it.  But with a $2 price tag and its amazing charm I knew instantly that it was coming home with me.  The hubs helped me to the car with it and asked that infamous question "what are you going to do with it?  I, of course had no idea.  Though I knew I could figure something out.  So it sat on the hearth of my fireplace as I waited for inspiration to strike.  Then it hit me I have a big window in my laundry room with a very wide sill.  I also had little succulents here and there around my house.  I decided that I would combine all of these ingredients to make a lively indoor window box to brighten up my laundry room!

I didn't want water to ruin my box so I lined it with aluminum foil and then with plastic wrap.  Then I gathered all the random succulents laying around the house.

I plopped all of plants into the box, rearranged them until I was happy.  Voila. 
You would be amazed at how much life this box adds to my laundry room!  I love to see it everytime I walk in there.  With three boys and a husband I am in there a lot.  The cost was a $2 old wooden box, and succulents that I already had= big change!!  Yay!

This was the story of me turning something ugly into something pretty.  But maybe more importantly, regaining a little bit of myself.

Thank You for visiting me!!  Feel free to leave a comment in the BOX!  It inspires me!!

Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment